The first Twickenham cinema building still stands, it was I think called "The Century" and opened in the 1920,s it was replaced by the Gaumont which was built next door. It became a billiard hall and is now offices, but from outside the building is the same.
The projection box at the Gaumont Twickenham about 1953, and on the left a projectionist Arthur on the roof of the Gaumont Cinema Twickenham
The Gaumont (Queens) which stood in Richmond Road (corner of Oak lane) opposite York House, was demolished in 1958 and replaced by a petrol station which is still there.
The next cinema to go was The Regal, which was pulled down in 1962 to be replaced by a public house and office block. The Regal had a fairly short life opening in 1939 and closing in 1960, during it's demolition many people could say "we watched it go up and we watched it come down" The Regal was the largest of the Twickenham cinemas. Regal House offices are on the site but the cinema was actually where the Rugby Tavern public house now stands. The Rugby Tavern is trading under a different name (2012) and there is now a cafe called the Regal Cafe next door
The Regal (above) final days, these pictures are the last of the cinema ,from left to right they show the frontage, the projection box, the auditorium from the rear stalls (the stage is to the left) and the foyer from the circle stairs.
The two pictures below show the auditorium from the remains of the stage end, and the island pay box in the foyer. The dark arch was the entrance to the stalls, circle entance foyer was above, the staircase leading to the circle would be to the right of the paybox in this picture.
The Odeon Twickenham opened in 1929. Originally called The Luxor, it was Egyptian style, the architect being Stanley Beard. It closed in 1981 and was eventually demolished.
The Odeon with queues for live wrestling. The dressing rooms came back into us for these events and a shower was installed back stage.
A Compton organ was installed in the cinema and played at the Saturday matinees by Ena Baga.
The pictures above show the Odeon celebrating its Golden Jubilee, Don Knights standing at the organ, and another organist in white, Ronald Curtiss?
Pictures below are of Anne Ziegler and Webster Booth, at the Twickenham Odeon
It was the last Twickenham cinema to be demolished. None of the Twickenham cinemas were tripled.
Odeon ready to come down, after nearly 60 years, note the stage and proscenium, also stage depth for shows.